Sunday, July 19, 2009

Watermelon

I mostly hate summer because it is so insanely hot. The one redeeming quality of this otherwise uncomfortable time of year is the fact that my all-time favorite fruit is in season! I have a hard time controlling myself when there is an entire juicy watermelon in front of my face. There is nothing better than to sit down at a hot, sweaty summer barbecue with a huge bowl of tasty watermelon in front of you and consume the entire thing yourself.

In honor of my pure love of watermelon, I thought I'd enlighten you all with a few interesting facts about this delectable summer fruit.

Many believe that the first watermelons were cultivated in Africa, and gradually spread throughout the world via explorers and merchant ships. Today, China is the world's largest watermelon producer.

In Japan, farmers figured out how to grow square watermelons by growing the fruits in glass boxes and letting them naturally assume the shape of the receptacle. Pyramid shaped watermelons have also been developed. My question is - where in the world can I buy one of these around here?!

There is only .15 g of fat per 100 g of watermelon you consume. I love delicious food that you don't have to feel guilty about eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment